Wednesday, June 6, 2007

How did we ever do without RSS?

In his article "Success Story: RSS Moves Into the Mainstream at the University of Alberta Libraries", Reichardt mentions that RSS and even weblogs are not very well known by undergraduate students. Reichardt asked two engineering classes if they had ever heard of RSS and not one student raised their hand. This was very surprising to me, although I am not sure why, as I had not heard of RSS until a few months ago. In the last month I have been immersed in RSS technology through the course readings and hands-on experience. Perhaps my new-found familiarity with the concept has made me assume that since I know about RSS (and I am not particularly technologically-savvy) other people must know about it. Does this make any sense at all?? I think that Reichardt makes a good point when he states that "the groups that need targeting initially are graduate students, faculty, and engineers in industry, who have a greater need for current awareness" (Reichardt). I believe that once these groups become aware of RSS's enormous potential, they will be hooked. It seems to me that RSS is the type of technology that once you begin using it, it is hard to see how you ever did without. If graduate students, faculty and engineers are initially targeted, I doubt that it will take them very long to tell their family, friends and business associates about the great benefits of RSS. I just started using RSS and I was so impressed that I have already recommended it to a handful of my friends.

No comments: