Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Libraries Improve their Services with RSS

Many libraries are improving their services with RSS. One example of this is The University of Alberta library, which “provides a feed for its ‘Library and Instruction’ program page” (McKiernan). I think that this is a great idea. I took a look at this page and found that it has a lot of useful information about navigating the library (finding books and journals in the library, searching databases, requesting interlibrary loans, etc.), navigating the library for biology resources and introductory guidance for English Literature Research. I majored in English in undergrad and this introductory guide would have been extremely helpful. I also noticed a link for “Doing research from a Distance” which I thought may be useful for this class; however, the link was broken (don’t you just hate that??) I think that the library should encourage all undergraduate students to apply for this feed. All of the information on this site would be of great help to new students. In my post, “Next Generation of Library Blogs”, I talked about how more libraries should employ blogs for bibliographic instruction. Although The University of Alberta “Library and Instruction” program page is not a blog, they are using similar technology (RSS) to get bibliographic instruction to their students. This allows busy students to remain up-to-date, without having to go into the library or remember to check the program site. Good job University of Alberta Library!!

No comments: