Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Social Networking In Higher Education

I have to admit that I was a little bothered by Matthew William’s article “MySpace and Facebook: What Higher Ed can Learn from Social Computing.” William’s article blames instructors for treating students as “mute receptacle[s]” and says that it is no wonder they are spending so much time on social networking sites, as these sites allow them to express themselves. William’s article suggests that most classrooms are instructor-centered and that students often do not get a chance to participate. He thinks that students like social networking sites because “users are invited to participate at a personal level.” I do agree that instructors should attempt to get students involved in their education and that social networking sites may help; however, I wouldn’t bank on these educational sites becoming incredibly popular. Students like social networking sites because, well, they are SOCIAL!!! Social time is always more fun than school time. Implementing these sites into higher-education may help get a few more people involved, but it is naïve to think that students will ever want to complete school work, rather than socialize.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

$$$$$$


FREE INTERNET BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY

Work at home on the Internet. We supply free training to start your business.
There is no cost to you. Start part time and make money in your spare time.

All you have to do is sign up at
http://www.up2cash.com


$$$$$

Unknown said...

yo got spammed.

anyway I havent joined facebook, as you said on my blog - its a great way to reconnect with old friends- sometimes I think I was disconnected for a good reason, thats one reason the other is it seems to be the only site blocked at work , oh well

about education- I would much rather have participation in class be the goal - even though this class (757) if fun and is great for this , but not every class is suitable for online networks. Just because you can doesnt mean you should with technology
have a nice weekend

Joanne said...

I totally agree that these applications are geared towards socializing...I think it may feel very forced to try and use them for schoolwork, etc.

I would be interested to see it work.

amanda said...

Hi Alexandra - I read William's article as offering a plea for the inclusion of more "active learning" in the traditional classroom, comparing that to the amount of active participation you see from students in online social networks. Your point is well taken -- it's probably the "socialness" of OSNs that draws the average user/student, however, I think William might argue that learning takes place all the time (as does information seeking behaviour -- my point, not his), so therein lies the lesson for educators.