Thursday, August 2, 2007

Evaluating Social Software for Libraries: My Favourite Tools

I definitely believe that social software has a place in library service provision. I think it is wonderful that many libraries are embracing current trends and reaching out to different types of patrons. As Dames notes, “social software tools not only afford libraries the opportunity to extend its reach beyond the library building, but also allows the library to serve its patrons in ways that previously were impossible (Features- Social Software in the Library). One key concept that I learned this term and will never forget is that it makes no sense to implement any kind of technology if it is not going to be useful. Librarians must make sure that they are implementing social software to benefit their patrons and not just because it is the hip thing to do.

My favourite social software technologies for libraries are the tools that that I believe to be the most beneficial to patrons: wikis and online social networks. Prior to taking this course, I did not realize that wikis could be employed in so many unique ways. Implementing a wiki for a group assignment was a foreign concept to me. My Online Social Network group decided to try it out and it worked extremely well for us! I was very impressed how easy the wiki made group collaboration. When libraries use wikis to enhance library instruction their patrons gain valuable insight not just from one person, rather from the whole library community. Miami University Library is making great use of wiki technology through their Information Desk wiki, which they use to “to share and continuously refine information” (Withers 775). Many libraries use wikis as tools for collaboration just between staff members, but Miami University’s Information Desk wiki is also open for students to edit. This demonstrates that Miami University students are an important part of the library community and that the library values their knowledge and insight. I also think that libraries should introduce wikis as virtual study areas for students. In this way, students can brainstorm with one another and librarians can offer study tips.

I was very impressed with UWO Western Community’s LiveJournal. Through this site many students are exchanging useful tips. I think that it would be a great idea for all university libraries to create similar online social networks. These networks do not have to be library related; they could include anything relevant to the Western community. After all, the library is the place where students go for information. I found UWO Western Community’s LiveJournal very difficult to locate and wondered how students even heard out about it. To make it easy for students to find, university libraries could create a network and embed a link through the library home page. I’m not sure if any university libraries are using online social networks in this fashion, but the Southeast MA Regional Library System has created My Own Cafe and it seems very popular with young patrons. Another great way that libraries are using online social networks is by creating profiles in popular sites and embedding links to resources. This makes library services more easily accessibly to patrons.

I think that both wikis and online social networks could easily be implemented in libraries. To employ these technologies libraries simply need a librarian who is familiar with the software or who is willing to learn. Wikis and online social networks are not difficult to use and would not take too much time to become familiar with. Both of these social software tools have free options, so expensive is not a big issue.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Alexandra, I definitely agree that social software is important in enabling libraries to serve patrons in new ways. I also wondered how UWO students access the LiveJournal page. It seems that blogs and online social networks are often disconnected from the library's central service page. The links back and forth should be clear.

Daka said...

Hi Alexandra

I think its neat that your online social network has actually started using wikis, and have had success! I also agree with your points about reaching out - I think My Own Cafe is especially innovative. It seems like the LiveJournal is also well used, but I agree with Jill and your comments about the disconnect. They should also enable better navigation by perhaps introducing some sort of organization/tagging mechanism.