Thursday, May 10, 2007

Web 2.0....exciting stuff!

Hi all,

So after completing some of this week’s readings I feel pretty out of touch. Can someone please tell me that I am not the only person who had never before heard of Web 2.0 ?! Upon discovering that “Web 2.0” has “more than 9.5 million citations in Google” (O’Reilly), I am a little embarrassed to admit that prior to beginning this class I was unfamiliar with the whole notion. Although I have completed many of the readings, I still find the concept a bit hazy. My understanding is that the key point of Web 2.0 is facilitating communication. Does this make the main component of Web 2.0 social software?

In his blog post A Round of Web 2.0 Reductionism, Dion Hinchcliffe suggests that Read-write Web + People Using It = Web 2.0. This makes sense, as Web 1.0 seemed to be more one-sided and Web 2.0 is all about participation. I found the examples that O'Reilly provided very helpful, especially when he compared Britannica Online (Web 1.0) to Wikipedia (Web 2.0). Wikipedia definitely creates greater shared knowledge for all, by letting anyone add or change information; whereas, Britannica Online did not allow for any interaction. So, if we have moved to Web 2.0, is it possible to say exactly when this change occurred?

3 comments:

Daka said...

Hi Alexandra!

I think you make very a valid point about the concept being hazy. I find that terms are often bandied about to the point that they seem standards - when, in fact, everyone is using it differently. My understanding of web 2.0 is probably over-simplistic - but I see it as the overall umbrella that describes making the world wide web more interactive and collaborative- through varied tools,technologies and services such as wikis, blogs, streaming, feeds, etc. I don't know f the concept is new - from the beginning of time, we have been trying to find new ways to communicate and interact - what is new, in my opinons, is maybe the technologies and our behavior modification as a society, in how we communicate.

Daka said...

Hi Alexandra!

I think you make very a valid point about the concept being hazy. I find that terms are often bandied about to the point that they seem standards - when, in fact, everyone is using it differently. My understanding of web 2.0 is probably over-simplistic - but I see it as the overall umbrella that describes making the world wide web more interactive and collaborative- through varied tools,technologies and services such as wikis, blogs, streaming, feeds, etc. I don't know f the concept is new - from the beginning of time, we have been trying to find new ways to communicate and interact - what is new, in my opinons, is maybe the technologies and our behavior modification as a society, in how we communicate.

Unknown said...

Hi Alexandra,

I think that my understanding of Web 2.0 is pretty much like yours. It is a concept that was new to me too, when one of my classmates mentioned it in my first term. I just understand it as social software of various types... so the wikis and blogs and rss feeds and online gaming and stuff that we will explore this semester all fits into web 2.0. You're not alone in the confusion!

Christy