Thursday, May 17, 2007

Who knew there were *so* many blogging tools??!!

Upon reading "Time to check: Are you using the right blogging tool?" I was shocked to discover how many blogging platforms are out there. The only two I had heard of were Blogger and WordPress and that is only because these are the two that Amanda suggested we use when creating our blogs. The article refers to a Darren Rowse and states that he is a professional blogger. I had never before heard the term "professional blogger." Does anyone know what would qualify one as such? I set up an account with Blogger, but if I had read this blog post and the comments it received prior to constructing my blog, I probably would have gone with WordPress. I noticed that many people commented on how much they like the WordPress software: "the streed cred for a blogging tool would come with Drupal or WordPress", "I am a WordPress user and I am in love with my blogging tool", "I use WordPress and I am completely enamored [with] it." There were no such praises for Blogger. However, I discovered that I am not completely stuck with Blogger. Apparently, if I decide that I want to switch to WordPress, I can mitigate old posts and comments into a new WordPress blog. This is great! I think I will stick with Blogger for awhile, perhaps when/if I outgrow it I'll give WordPress a try. Happy blogging!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear you – loud and clear. Apart from being new to blogging, I was bewildered by simply breezing through the technology and the tools available for the same task. I have no idea how to evaluate these tools as I am new to thei whole “social software” thing. But – Oh Man, am I glad I am taking this course before graduating! Else, I could picture a very vivid portrait of myself making a complete fool out of myself……. Not very appealing.
- kaush

Joanne said...

I'm totally blown away by all of the options too! I was vaguely aware that there was a world beyond Blogger...but only very vaguely. Little did I know...I have so much to learn!

I was glad to see the blog jargon deciphered in Gardner's article though. Template = skin...I never would have guessed!

amanda said...

re: "I had never before heard the term "professional blogger." Does anyone know what would qualify one as such?"

It's just what you'd expect, professional blogger = a blogger who gets paid to blog!

Unknown said...

I knew that there were different tools, but wasn't really familiar with what they were. My sister introduced me to LiveJournal 5 years ago, and I haven't really looked back. I mean, I have seen some little social software things like Hi5 and such, but since LJ meets my needs, I haven't felt the need to explore beyond it. Although... I am now considering delving into the world of facebook.